Installing OpenWRT on the WRT54G (and not die trying)
In the last post, I wrote about OpenWRT and how it can help you doing some things you can only do with expensive gear… In this case, I’ll write about how to install OpenWRT on your WRT54G. It’s actually not very difficult and there’re a lot of guides that show how to do it, but I wanted to share my experience.
I’m going to focus on Kamikaze 8.09, which is a stable version of OpenWRT. Nowadays there’s a more up-to-date version called Backfire, which is yet to be tested and bug-corrected in more depth, so that’s why we’re sticking to Kamikaze.
Attention! You’re about to change the firmware of your router, the responsibility of following this guide strictly lays on you. I’m showing the steps that worked for me. In other words: do not sue me if you brick your router, thanks😀.
First: Download the correct firmware for your router. Please check the version of your router. Some versions are NOT supported. Only the versions showed here are supported by OpenWRT. period.
WRT54G (v1, v1.1, v2, v2.2, v3, v3.1, v4)
WRT54GS (v1, v2, v3 and v4)
WRT54GL (v1, v1.1)
- Assign the network address: 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 to your PC and connect it to a WRT54G’s LAN port.
- Go to the router’s firmware upgrade web page: http://192.168.1.1/Upgrade.asp. Click browse and select your router’s specific .bin image you downloaded from above. Press upgrade and DO NOT POWER OFF your router.
- Let it breath for aprox. 5 minutes. The router should restart and the power LED should start blinking.
- After the Power LED has stopped blinking, you can now Telnet into the router (the IP is: 192.168.1.1) with PuTTY. Type “passwd” and set your password.
- Now you can SSH into the router with PuTTY. Access with your password. User is root.
- Congratulations! You’ve installed OpenWRT! I recommend you to follow this guide to use your router as an AP. It’s pretty straightforward. I recommend you to use WinSCP (if you’re using a Windows PC) or OpenSSH for MAC. These tools will help you navigate through the folders and write files.
So! I hope you found this guide useful! Please feel free to ask anything about the installation process.
Until next time!